Petwell Supply Blog
5 Ways to Maintain Your Pet's Heart Health
Heart disease is a common and very dangerous disease among dogs and cats. If left untreated, heart disease can lead to other debilitating issues, including congestive heart failure. While heart disease is not a preventable disease, there are steps you can take to strengthen and maintain your pet’s heart health.
1) Exercise your pet regularly: Making sure that your pet gets daily exercise ensures that their heart is getting the exercise that it needs to maintain proper function. Taking your dog on daily walks (not just potty breaks!) is the easiest way to make sure they are getting enough exercise. You can also include them in activities like hiking, running, and swimming. If your cat does not often get outdoor exercise, making sure they have plenty of stimulating toys and scratching posts around the house will help them get exercise.
2) Proper diet and weight management: A proper diet is the foundation of your pet’s health. Your pet should always have a well-balanced diet of essential vitamins and nutrients that is right for them. Weight management is also an important aspect of your pet’s diet, because keeping your pet at a healthy weight can greatly reduce stress on their heart. Choosing the proper diet can be overwhelming if you aren’t sure what to look for, so it may require the help of your vet and some extra research. Check out our blog post on choosing the proper diet for tips and recommendations!
3) Dental care: Certain dental diseases like gum disease have been directly linked to heart disease in both dogs and cats. Brushing your pet’s teeth on a regular basis will keep harmful bacteria away from your pet’s teeth and gums, and subsequently, their bloodstream, which can affect more organs than just the heart. Check out our blog post on everything you need to know about maintaining your pet’s dental health.
4) Knowing your breed: Some dog and cat breeds are predisposed to heart disease, so be sure to do plenty of research on your breed and regularly check in with your vet for the proper treatments and exams that your pet may need.
5) Provide daily supplements: Providing your pet with daily supplements designed specifically for heart health is a great way to give their heart some extra care. Petwell Supply’s favorite heart supplement is Herbsmith’s Taurine, which works to strengthen your pet’s heart muscles by building protein, maintaining hydration and electrolyte balance in cells, regulating oxidative stress, and even forming bile to aid digestion. It also contains L-Carnitine, Omega 3 fatty acids, and Coenzyme Q10, all of which additionally benefit brain, eye, and immune health. Taurine is even a great supplement to give dogs on a grain-free diet, due to the recent link between grain-free diets and heart disease. Learn more about grain-free diets and heart disease here.
- Vanessa Rances
DIY Hombre Leash
Getting bored of your pet's old leash? Try out this DIY hombre leash!
- Vanessa Rances
4 Ways to Maintain Your Pet’s Healthy Urinary Tract
Urinary tract issues are very common among both dogs and cats. The most common issue is urinary tract infections, or UTIs, which are typically treatable, but can cause more serious problems like blockages, bladder stones, or a kidney infection if left untreated. Dogs and cats are also prone to developing urinary crystals, which are not always dangerous to your pet’s long-term health but can cause very similar symptoms and complications that UTIs do. Keep an eye out for these signs that your dog or cat may have a urinary tract issue:
- Frequent urination, often with very little urine
- Blood in urine
- Straining or struggling to urinate
- Crying out when attempting to urinate
- Urinating outside of the litter box (cats)
Urinary tract issues can be caused by several things. Infections like UTIs are commonly caused by bacteria, especially in female dogs and cats where the urethra is larger than in male dogs and cats. Diseases like cancer, diabetes, Cushing’s, and other immune suppressing diseases can also affect your pet’s urinary tract health. Certain aspects of your pet's environment can also affect their urinary tract health. Here are 4 important and easy things you can do to ensure that your pet maintains a healthy urinary tract:
1) Provide plenty of water: Bacteria can develop when dogs and cats are not urinating frequently enough, so ensuring that your pet always has plenty of water (or wet food to supplement infrequent water intake) is the easiest way to keep your pet’s urinary tract healthy.
2) Bathe and groom frequently: Making sure that your pet’s “private” areas are cleaned and properly groomed often will help keep bad bacteria from entering their urinary tract.
3) Keep stress to a minimum: Any changes in urinary tract health may also develop if your pet is under a lot of stress or is anxious, so it is important to keep tabs on your pet’s mood.
4) Provide preventative remedies: If your pet has an infection your vet may prescribe antibiotics or even recommended certain dietary changes, which are especially helpful in maintaining healthy crystals. There are, however, a lot of all-natural remedies that can be used with antibiotics to help with symptoms and prevent future complications.
These are Petwell Supply’s top recommended remedies for urinary tract, bladder, and kidney health:
Herbsmith Bladder Care for Dogs and Cats: This herbal blend promotes optimal bladder and urinary tract health and function by supporting healthy urine elimination. D-mannose, cranberry, and herbs support helps your pet maintain a normal bladder pH, which may reduce the likelihood of crystal and stone formation.
Wholistic Pet Organics WholeCran Intense for Dogs and Cats: This is a pure, freeze-dried, whole-fruit powder that provides your pet with a healthy source of antioxidants that are especially helpful in preventing bacteria from adhering to the walls of the urinary tract. In addition, cranberry is a naturally acidic fruit that can be used as an aid in the prevention of alkaline urinary calculi.
Green Hope Farm Flow Free: For when your dog or cat is having difficulty urinating, this flower essence promotes flow in the urinary tract.
Azmira D'Toxifier Drops: This homeopathic blend can aid your pet’s immune system eliminate any bacteria associated with the urinary tract.
Newton Homeopathics Bladder – Kidney: This homeopathic blend is formulated for associated symptoms such as frequent or difficult urination, irritation and incontinence.
- Vanessa Rances
DIY Green Teeth Dog Treats
Your dog is sure to love these all-natural teeth cleaning treats!
Not a DIY person? Check out our all-natural dental chews available in store in online.
- Vanessa Rances